Government Relations at York has a dual mandate - to cultivate and enhance strategic relationships with elected and non-elected officials at all levels of government and to advance York's institutional priorities and vision in the process with the aim of increasing awareness of our unique strengths and objectives while promoting a broader understanding of our University, its complexities and operational requirements.
The Office of the President produces a monthly newsletter, titled The York University Brief, for our government partners and external stakeholders who are interested in discovering more about our innovative community. You can sign up for it here.
Principal areas of responsibility for the Government Relations function at York University
- Strategy and advocacy in advancing institutional needs and objectives with government.
- Providing research, advice and analysis on developments in government that have direct or indirect impact on York’s agenda with government.
- Act as a conduit for government to access expertise and resources for policy development.
- Interface with other post-secondary institutions and sector bodies such as Universities Canada (UC) and the Council of Ontario Universities (COU).
- Identifying and cultivating partnerships with external stakeholder and allied organizations.
- Generating communications and submissions to government.